COVID-19 Update May 19
With Phase 2 of the British Columbia Restart Plan beginning in mid-May some in-person 4-H activities may be able to resume at a local level. The Provincial Council has considered the following key principles of Phase 2 of the Restart Plan:
- Social contact with extended family or a small group of friends permitted, but only get together in small groups (2-6 people).
- The Public Health Officer has restated total bans on mass gatherings and will maintain the direction on gatherings being of no more than 50 people with required physical distance and health hygiene practices for groups under that number.
- Non-essential travel is discouraged even within BC; with a recommendation to stay close to home.
With these principles in mind 4-H BC Club and District in-person activities may resume after May 18 as long as they can be operated within the following guidelines:
- Group size must be less than 50 including all participants, parents, and guests.
- Physical distancing must be able to be maintained (6ft between participants). Not all venues will be able to safely accommodate 50 people; outdoor venues are preferred.
- Ensure participants practice good hygiene (frequent hand washing with soap and water and use of hand sanitizers; avoid touching one’s face; respiratory etiquette; disinfect frequently touched surfaces).
- Zero tolerance for participants who have the symptoms of a cold, flu, or COVID-19.
- Participants at higher risk of experiencing severe illness should not take part in in-person activities.
- 4-H clubs must not penalize members or families who are not comfortable participating in-person. 4-H clubs should make reasonable accommodations to continue including members virtually in club activities as needed.
Each club and district will need to determine how in-person 4-H activities might be delivered safely within their area, depending on the nature of the activity and available venues. Participant safety needs to be at the forefront of all plans and decisions. Planning is continuing for programming beyond the club and district level, with the hope that regional and provincial activities might be able to be delivered in future phases of the Restart Plan. Updates will be provided by 4-H BC as more information is released by the Provincial Government in the weeks and months ahead. All guidelines are subject to change, please watch for updates at www.4hbc.ca.
BC COVID-19 Go-Forward Management Strategy - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/covid-19/bc_covid-19_go-forward_management_strategy_web.pdf
Key Steps to Safely Operating Your Business or Organization and Reducing COVID-19 Transmission - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/gdx/go_forward_strategy_checklist_web.pdf